Friday, May 2, 2014

I Don't Wanna Be A Slave

Everyone here is familiar with the work we do surrounding "purpose." During the last all company event, on the heels of Gary's new book, I started thinking about the potential of a documentary that explores the topic of higher calling, purpose and meaning in your work.

At a high level, I think it's a story about our relationships with working. Another way to look at it is the difference between something like Mike Rowe's nation PR campaign about celebrating trade jobs and disscussing the widening "skill gap" and the oppinion that there are some jobs that are just "useless."

Does anyone have thoughts on the topic?

I don't wanna be a slave from NOIR Films on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea, and I also really like the way you described it above, "our relationships with working". There is a story there for sure, one that I think could be told through a lens that would illustrate OUR purpose here at Root.

    I'm on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that there's also an opportunity to explore how different cultures approach Work. Things like: why don't Americans take a siesta? Why do Europeans hold different hours of operation that the rest of the world? What is India's caste system like in an age where there are jobs that simply didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago?

      Maybe it could be called "Burger Slinger" or something. Haha!

      Delete
    2. That would be cool. There is really interesting stuff around the Google's and Best-Buy's of the world that tried those "crazy" work-hours and flex-time which I think resulted in varying degrees of success.

      Delete
    3. Yep, law of diminishing returns.

      Delete